Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'd like another leo in the near future, but…

3 posters

Go down

I'd like another leo in the near future, but… Empty I'd like another leo in the near future, but…

Post by Maggie118 Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Odie is male and I've read different things regarding housing males together. Some info says that you can have them together if one establishes dominance but others say absolutely don't because there will be major carnage. On the other hand I would like female companion for Odysseus, but I don't want babies. At least just not yet, maybe in the future. I was just hoping for some opinions on this.
I know I've been posting a lot but I have so many questions and this forum is sooo helpful. I'd like another leo in the near future, but… 467714

Last edited by Maggie118 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Maggie118
Maggie118

Status Status : Odie is a girl! HER new name is Athena (:
LGF Points LGF Points : 349

Back to top Go down

I'd like another leo in the near future, but… Empty Re: I'd like another leo in the near future, but…

Post by Kermit Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Considering adding another leo is not smething that should be taken lightly. First consider that you're going to need a seperate set up regardless if your ultimate goal is group housing in a larger viv. You need to quarantine any new leo at least 60 days to learn it, make sure it's healthy, and compareable size to your existing leos. Housing males together is almost always a recipe for disaster... the way they establish dominance is by fighting and competing for the best spots,the best food, breeding rights, the most territory etc. These little fights for dominance can end horribly for one leo or both dependingon size differences.

Having a male/female combination would be the only pair to consider mixing in a group enviromnent, or 2 females, BUT then again you're faced with an entirely different set of challenges such as the male constantly pestering the female to breed leading to the female retaliating hostily, they do actually breed and now you're faced with a gravid female and all the troubles and special care taht takes and you need to decide if you're actually going to even incubate the eggs or just dispose of them... or in a 2 female situation you can run into the same issues as a 2 male situation... competition and bullying for the best resources and dominance. Leos are solitary creatures, they do not live in groups, and only come together for breeding season. Thinking that your leo needs "company" is a little unrealistic and should be left to the pros as a lot could go wrong very fast. WE think they need compnay but in all reality all we did was provide them with competition. If you ever do decide to add another leo it would be best for all to give it its own set up thumbs up
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

I'd like another leo in the near future, but… Empty Re: I'd like another leo in the near future, but…

Post by Maggie118 Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Thank you! I've been thinking hard about it lately because I really do love leos. I do have another tank I could use so I'll still think about it.

Very Happy
Maggie118
Maggie118

Status Status : Odie is a girl! HER new name is Athena (:
LGF Points LGF Points : 349

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:53 am

Housing together isn't a bad option, you just have to have in reserve and set up that is working for when things go awry you're not left in the rain with no where to move the subject of abuse or the aggressor.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down