Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading?

+4
smsararas2
Jordan
secondhandrose
kathstew
8 posters

Go down

What are you reading? Empty What are you reading?

Post by kathstew Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 am

I'm an avid reader, and am always looking for more books to read. Smile
Sooo, what book(s) are you reading?
I'm currently into a Victorian-era romance novel role lately, and have been reading them for a few weeks. I just finished Beauty and the Spa, and LOVED it. And I'm now reading The Runaway Duke. Its pretty great Smile
I also just finished Horns, by Stephen King's son (I can't remember his name though).
As a present for something to do in the hospital during my surgery and rehab, I got a Kobo (ereader) from my aunt. I LOVE it. I didn't think I'd like it much, because I like collecting books and I like the feel of the book in my hands, but I have to admit the Kobo is so handy and compact. I really like it! Very Happy
SO. What are you reading lately? Also, do you have an ereader?
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post by secondhandrose Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 am

I just finished two books that I really loved.

The first is called "How to Read Literature Like a Professor" by Thomas C. Foster. Google gives a better summary than I could:

What does it mean when a fictional hero takes a journey?. Shares a meal? Gets drenched in a sudden rain shower? Often, there is much more going on in a novel or poem than is readily visible on the surface—a symbol, maybe, that remains elusive, or an unexpected twist on a character—and there's that sneaking suspicion that the deeper meaning of a literary text keeps escaping you. In this practical and amusing guide to literature, Thomas C. Foster shows how easy and gratifying it is to unlock those hidden truths, and to discover a world where a road leads to a quest; a shared meal may signify a communion; and rain, whether cleansing or destructive, is never just rain. Ranging from major themes to literary models, narrative devices, and form, How to Read Literature Like a Professor is the perfect companion for making your reading experience more enriching, satisfying, and fun.

The second book is a little gem entitled "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's an AMAZING read, and I can't even really tell you about it without giving delicious little secrets away. SUCH a page turner and I highly recommend it.

My mom has an e-reader, but like you I'm an avid reader and just love books! Especially old/used ones. And how can you argue with book smell?
secondhandrose
secondhandrose

LGF Points LGF Points : 133

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:49 am

OMG. That first one sounds so good! I may have to read it LOL.
And now you've got me all intrigued about the second one! Gonna have to read that one too! :P
The main excuse I have for using my Kobo is that the books are cheaper, by a few dollars, which with the amount of books I like to buy, in the end saves me a lot. But I do miss that old book smell, and once school starts I'll be reading ol' paperback and hardcover for English class, which is a relief! :P
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:09 am

My fave book i have read was 'The Time Machine' by HG Wells, (i think). Its an old classic i believe. I'm not massive on reading, but i read this book twice in 1 month and then listened to an audiobook of it. Loved it!
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:26 am

I have an ereader and love it to death!!! I did not like the Kobo though, I have a Libre and am in love with it so much so that I bought my mom one for her birthday!!! My favorite authors are Anne Rice and Dean Koontz. I have read everything in the vampire and witching hour series from Anne Rice. I have read EVERYTHING Dean Koontz has written and if I haven't read it yet it is on my ereader for when I get to it.

Right now I am reading a book about shapeshifters and one of them has been turned into a vampire. It is pretty good but a kind of one hit wonder for the author.

This was a great thread to start Kathryn and PLEASE if there are any suggestions on good books let me know:D
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:08 am

I love books Smile

I like books about people lives and childhoods and stuff like that Smile

I like jane eye, to kill a mockingbird, of mice & men, memoirs of a giesha Very Happy

any victorian times books.. stephen king books.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:16 am

oh yes, Stephan King is always the best...I prefer his older books but they are all still good:)
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:29 am

I'm currently reading Ted Dekker's series Black, Red, White, and Green.

I highly recommend Nancy Farmer's Sea of Trolls Trilogy, and the Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:16 am

I've read the first book in the Charlie Bone series a few years ago, and then ran out of money to buy the second one, and then forgot about the series LOL. I will definitely start reading those ones again for sure, thanks for reminding me!

I've never read an Anne Rice book (I think :P) so I'll definitely check her out. I love all sorts of witch/vampire books. I have a few Dean Koontz novels, but I haven't read them yet. I have... By the Light of the Moon and another one I can't remember the name of, something like "whispers" or something like that.

I agree Sarah, I love books like that! Victorian times books are AH-MAZING. Very Happy Have you read Emma by Jane Austen? I LOVED that book. I love Jane Austen though, she's a great author Very Happy

I've never heard of The Time Machine Jordan, I'll look into it Smile

I've only read a few of Stephen King's novels, but they were pretty good. I read Carrie, which was OK, but I was expecting it to be scarier. :P

I have a series to reccomend: The Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris. FAVOURITE BOOKS EVER. OMG. There is a tv show, "True Blood" based off the books, and its my fav show EVER. HIGHLY reccommend the books.

I also have a book to reccomend: The Uninvited by Tim Wynne Jones. VERY good book. LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. READ IT NOW. >: D
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:28 am

Oh the Ann Rice vampire series you can read for a year.....There are something like...hm.....15 books in the whole series if you read about merrick and some of the "lesser known" vampires. Of course the first and most well known is Lestat and Armand.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:42 am

I have the Queen of the Damned book Smile I've seen the movie, and the movie of the Interview with the vampire Very Happy but i still haven't read that book. When I get an e-reader Smile im going to download the whole series Very Happy I love the movies!!

Yes, I have read Emma Smile It was good.. I've seen a movie version of it, too Very Happy

I have to admit I like the Twilight books.. but I don't really like the movies. I just go and see them to see how they compare of the books Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:16 am

yeah i love the Lestat things, queen of the damned and interview with a vampire.
Steve Townsend who plays him is delish! laughing
(and im straight! lol)
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 am

I've been downloading the Anne Rice books, so I'll be reading them all very soon! Can't wait to read them Very Happy

I loved Emma, I did find it kinda obvious though who she would fall for in the end though :P Still loved Kingsley though <3

I found the Twilight books OK, but I found them a bit rushed, like she could have made them a lot better if she took the time. Have you read "The Host" by the twilight author? After reading that, I found the Twilight books a bit bleh. The Host proved she is a great author if she took more to time in her writing (I find anyway).

LOL Jordan. Oh god... Shocked
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:01 am

Haha Jordan....I looked at the host but never downloaded it...I will when I get home from the zoo Very Happy

smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 am

Let me know what you think of it Jolene!
My friend made me read it, and I wasn't really looking forward to, as the Twilight books weren't that great to me, but I was really surprised by how good it was. My favourite character was Ian.

I finished Interview with a Vampire! I liked it alot, but didn't really like the ending, I think it should have been happier Sad LOL
I'm reading "The Vampire Lestat". once I'm finished the first three books (so this one and one other) I'm gonna read "The Luxe" series. I won them in a silent auction XD
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Eszharen Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Currently reading through the Horus Heresy series of books, written by a collection of authors. Good books.
Eszharen
Eszharen

LGF Points LGF Points : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am

I just recently read Go Ask Alice. It's an amazing book. Definitly hard to put down if you like that kind of genre.
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Status Status : Lizards are cool.
LGF Points LGF Points : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum