Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can it be done ?

4 posters

Go down

can it be done ? Empty can it be done ?

Post by wiser Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:10 am

i was wondring one female could be traded from tank to tank being "layed" for lack of a better term sorry by several difrent males each fertlizing difrent clutches of eggs from the same hatch ? if so could this be bad for the hatchlings or my breeding geckos ?

wiser

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 129

Back to top Go down

can it be done ? Empty Re: can it be done ?

Post by Kermit Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:24 am

The term you're looking for is being "bred" not layed ( and at that it would be spelled laid) Rolling Eyes and my guess would be no because once a female is bred she retains that sperm plug from the original breeding which fertelizes her subsequent 2-3 clutches. Also why would you even want to attempt to breed a female to several different males? You'd have no clue what the parentage would be therefore no clue what the hatchlings would be morph and het wise. Totally unethical breeding practices you're thinking of there. Don't do it.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 am

I know the breeding "tactic" you're thinking about. People do this with Ball Pythons, breeding females to several males, because it's really hit and miss with getting the female gravid. With Balls though, no two morphs are similar enough to mistake them for each other with a trained eye. So, when the babies are born you know which male took and which didn't.

In Leopard Geckos though, breeding's pretty spot on. Mate, gravid, babies. There isn't a lot of room for "Did the or did they not?", because you'll know if they didn't because the female will obviously reject the male.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by geckochick89 Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 pm

You could technically do it, but I wouldnt recommend it, based on determining the genetics of the offspring. Unless you are extremely learned on your geckos genetics and understand what each pairing could produce and how to tell them apart, I probably wouldnt attempt it.
geckochick89
geckochick89

Status Status : 25 leos and counting...
LGF Points LGF Points : 212

http://iherp.com/cmor1031

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum