Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeding Questions

3 posters

Go down

Breeding Questions Empty Breeding Questions

Post by LeopardGex Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

~I NEED HELP~
I have heard you can not breed any sort of albino. Is this for real? I think it is seeing as how i heard it on this site. This is something i really need to know quickly though because im buying a male to breed and was going to get a Las Vegas Albino (Rainwater Albino), but since this arose i'm unsure if that would be asmart choice or not.

Last edited by Kermit on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : all those symbols in your title mess with the forum search function)
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Status Status : Xbox Gamertag: Sleet Yargg
LGF Points LGF Points : 666

Back to top Go down

Breeding Questions Empty Re: Breeding Questions

Post by Mardy Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 pm

No, what that other individual told you was to not cross breed different strains of albinos. There are currently 3 strains of albinos, Tremper, Bell, and Rainwater (Las Vegas).

You can breed Tremper to Tremper, Bell to Bell, Rainwater to Rainwater. But you don't want to breed a Tremper to Rainwater, or any of the cross mixes.

You can also breed a normal to an albino, say a normal to tremper albino and get offsprings that are normal het tremper albino.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeopardGex Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 pm

What is the reason for no crossbreading? (Just wondering) Also would it be ok to breed a Las Vegas to a High Yellow Lavender or a Bandit Jungle?
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Because albino strains are not compatible with each other, so there's no blending or mixing, there's double hets. So say you breed a tremper albino to rainwater albino, the result would be a normal het tramper het rainwater.

Problem with double hets is that how are you going to track which hets get passed down to the next offspring? Or how are you going to differentiate what's what? You really can't, so you don't ever want to cross breed the 3 albino strains.

A rainwater albino can be bred with a high yellow or bandit yes, but understand that high yellows, lavender, jungle, and bandits are all polygenic traits. Lavender is a linebred trait where if you don't breed it with more lavender, you may lose the lavender appeal in the offspring. Same with bandit, or high yellow color, or the jungle pattern.

So for you to combine a rainwater albino with say a high yellow lavender, you'll get normal het rainwater. The offspring would have high yellow influence, some lavender may get carried down, and the pattern would be a mix of the pattern of both parents, could be stripes, jungle, banded, etc..
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeopardGex Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Ok thanks for filling me in. Il be fine seeing as how my High yellow lavender has very small lavender influences really not even that noticable. Smile Your so helpfull as is all the other friendly active users on this forum.
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:48 am

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough Gex! I meant don't cross the strains together (no tremper to rainwater). Tremper to tremper is fine for example, though. Sorry for confusing you!

Play around with these: http://www.lovegeckos.com/Genetics.aspx
http://www.leopardgeckomorphcalculator.co.uk/MorphCalculator.aspx
They let you figure out what you will get when mixing morphs together.

My suggestion is deciding what you want to create BEFORE picking a leopard gecko.

For example, I want to breed for bright yellow and orange colors. So I am breeding two snowglows together (Mya and Ritz in my signature), and once my tremper albino is old enough I will be breeding her with my male Snowglow as well (Rosie and Ritz). With Mya and Ritz I should get 25% Super Snow Hypo (2 Copy) Tremper Albino Tangerine Super Hypo
50% Mack Snow Hypo (2 Copy) Tremper Albino Tangerine Super Hypo
25% Hypo (2 Copy) Tremper Albino Tangerine Super Hypo
And Rosie and Ritz I should get: 50% Mack Snow Hypo (1 Copy) Tremper Albino
50% Hypo (1 Copy) Tremper Albino
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by LeopardGex Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:43 am

Oh i understand thanks so much for the links!
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down