Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juveniles and Adults

4 posters

Go down

Juveniles and Adults Empty Juveniles and Adults

Post by frederick.edwards3 Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:46 pm

What ages are considered juveniles and what ages are considered adults? Can a juvenile breed? And is there a way to tell the age of them by looking at them?(i.e. size, spots, weight, bands on the tail/body) dont know just throwing things out there, still picking up on all this. lol!! Very Happy

frederick.edwards3

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 68

Back to top Go down

Juveniles and Adults Empty Re: Juveniles and Adults

Post by smsararas2 Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:56 pm

A leopard gecko should be at least a year old and weigh 45g before breeding. That is the minimums, I prefer at least a year and a half and I go by the way they look if they are over the 45g because making and laying eggs takes a lot out of them. If they do not have enough reserves in them it can be very hard on them and detrimental to their health.

For aging them it looks to me that your two on the top should be good by the next breeding season. They look pretty much adult now so they should be ready to go come spring. You can tell if they are adults by the bands I was talking about earlier breaking up and not being a pattern any more, the size of the body and tail. Really it comes partly down to experience. You will learn how to tell what an adult looks like.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by frederick.edwards3 Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks again! You are saying breeding season. When does it begin and end? Is there anything I should change or not change in and out of the breeding season? And will a female just breed or will she want to be ready for it?( i.e. my juvenile female) Would she be ready next season or will she determine that by being willing to the male? and if im asking too many questions at once just say so, im just really excited about learning about this!! Juveniles and Adults 917362

frederick.edwards3

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:31 pm

frederick.edwards3 wrote:Thanks again! You are saying breeding season. When does it begin and end? Is there anything I should change or not change in and out of the breeding season? And will a female just breed or will she want to be ready for it?( i.e. my juvenile female) Would she be ready next season or will she determine that by being willing to the male? and if im asking too many questions at once just say so, im just really excited about learning about this!! Juveniles and Adults 917362

The breeding seasons runs from Febuary to September Smile You can breed out of season by conditioning them (which gets them ready for breeding)... When I condition my leo's, I
reduced the lighing from 15 hours a day to about 10 hours and I slighly
reduced the temps (by about 8 degrees) and reduced feeding. Did this for
a couple of weeks then bumped the temps back up and feed them LOTS of
food with a bit extra supplements for the females...
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 am

99% of the time leo's won't need conditioning, or any pre-breeding season action. SHould really only need tobe done when trying to produce a process called Cycling.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by frederick.edwards3 Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:25 am

ok so, if i am going to let them breed as a hobbie, then just let them breed when they want?

frederick.edwards3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down