Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happend to this gecko scaly skin?

2 posters

Go down

What happend to this gecko scaly skin? Empty What happend to this gecko scaly skin?

Post by ic3blitz Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:42 am

Hi,
I just adopted a female gecko 8 months old and shipped to home today.
and i found out its weight only 29 grams. size seems too small for 8 months,
because i have another male gecko almost 2 months old , weighted 25grams.
here is side by side pics of the two geckos.
LEFT: new female RIGHT: male 2months old
What happend to this gecko scaly skin? P1030026m
is it normal for 8mo to have that small size?

What surprised me is some missing pattern of the scaly skin around the belly.
I have take some shots of it, please take a look:
What happend to this gecko scaly skin? P1030020m
What happend to this gecko scaly skin? P1030021mf
What happend to this gecko scaly skin? P1030022mx

Any idea what this really is? The seller said this is passed down from its parents.
is it some kind of disease? if so what should i do to help that gecko.

thanx a lot

ic3blitz

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 25

Back to top Go down

What happend to this gecko scaly skin? Empty Re: What happend to this gecko scaly skin?

Post by Kermit Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 am

First off you shouldn't have that new leo anywhere near your current male leo. You absolutely need to quarantine the newleo for at least 30-60 days to make sure it isn't carrying anything that could get your other leo sick.

Second... those irregular scales look to me like a bite mark that is almost healed over. You can see the outline of the leo's jaw in the scarred scales.

Third, she looks healthy weight as far as body porportions go. As for her age it's hard to say if she's 8 monthsold or not. some females can be real petit while others can be mammoths at the same age. Comparing female to male for age/size comparison is like comparing apples and oranges.

Hope some of that helps Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

What happend to this gecko scaly skin? Empty Re: What happend to this gecko scaly skin?

Post by ic3blitz Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 pm

My new gecko is separated from others, i just put them together for pics. but thanks to remind me about preventing something that might be carried by new leo.

It is good to know that those are just bite mark; then if those are bite mark, will it return to normal scales after several shedding?

So basically this new female is safe for breeding later when they both are ready in age & weight?

ic3blitz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 am

It its my opinion that it looks like a bite. After it is healed and looks like no injury ever existed, then once she is to the proper weight she could be bred but only if the area heals completely with minimal scarring. If it doesn't then it could be a genetic defect and the leo should not be bred at all. You should never breed an animal that displays any genetic defect. It will likely take 3 or 4 more sheds for the scales to return to a normal look if it is a bite. This also gives any internal damage that could have been caused, if it is a bite, time to heal as well.

Last edited by Kermit on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ic3blitz Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Okay, i will check if that scar will gone after several sheddings like you said.

Thanx again Kermit thumbs up 2

ic3blitz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:21 am

Happy to help Smile post some pix after the next shed or 2 so we can see how things are healing up thumbs up
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down