Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stella is STILL not eating!

5 posters

Go down

Stella is STILL not eating! Empty Stella is STILL not eating!

Post by Jess Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:15 am

So a while ago I posted about her not eating, probably because she was gravid/ovulating. I filled her humid hide with coco fiber, but she still hasn't layed eggs and she doesn't appear to be gravid either. But she is still on her little hunger strike. She only ate three mealworms this week, and refused everything else I've offered her (Dubia, crickets, and waxies). I think she ate two or three dubia last week, but that's all. Even though she isn't eating, her weight has been at exactly 53 grams since this whole thing started, and she is about 9 months old now.

Is this normal? I know I've been told that their breeding season can last a few months, but I can't help but worry a little since she is so young. The fact that her weight is steady reassures me a little that she is fine, but she is my first leo and my first female lizard so I can't help but be a little OCD about the whole egg thing. Now I remember why I stick to males!

Would it be worth trying some silkworms with her, or should I just leave her alone?
And she used to have protein bubbles under her armpits, but those have completely disappeared now. Should I start offering her a little calcium in a dish again?
And will this stunt her growth at all?
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Stella is STILL not eating! Empty Re: Stella is STILL not eating!

Post by Mardy Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Personally I think you should have pure calcium without D3 in her tank at all time. Calcium dish isn't what causes her bubbles to go away, it's her lack of eating and lack of getting protein. If she's not eating, you know she's not getting calcium. If you don't allow her to have calcium in a dish, when/if she develops eggs, it's going to take calcium from her body, her bones, etc..

As for her not eating it's a normal cycle for female leopard geckos to go through during the breeding season. It's going to happen every year, so you'll get used to it eventually. It's going to happen until she stops ovulating. Since she's not losing weight, you're fine.

At 9 month she probably won't get much bigger, as they slow down their growth during the last few months of their first year. So no I don't think it'll stunt her growth. Some people breed their virgin female early and producing eggs take a lot out of their body. They stunt their growth doing it that way. At 9 month and she's not being bred, she should be fine.

Last edited by Mardy on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 am

OK, thanks. I will give her back the calcium dish. I think someone told me that the bubbles were from over supplementing, so that's why I took it away.

She still seems so small compared to my other gecko! Oh well, I guess she is just petite. Smile Once I know what to expect for her breeding season schedule I'll feel much better LOL, but it's a little nerve-wracking for her not to eat for so long.
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 am

poor Stella i'm sorry she isn't eating yet. charm was doing the same things for a long time, but she finally started eating after like 2 or 3 months. i hope she starts eating for you soon, just watch her weight and make sure she doesn't loose a lot, that is when you start getting worried and take her in to the vet.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Echo Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:58 pm

My little girl went on about a 2 week hunger strike and she's my first one so I know how you are feeling. But from what I've been told as long as she's not losing a lot of weight, continues to drink water and get calcium from the calcium dish, she should be good. Geckos can actually go for a little while without eating because of the fats they store in their bodies from what I remembering learning so that's no biggie there.

Just keep an eye out on her movements and such. If she stops drinking and isn't at least peeing (since her stomach might be empty by now and she might not poo) then there might be a problem. Never hurts to keep an eye on her though to see if her mannerisms change or something though too! And I'd definitely put the calcium dish back in her tank so she has access to it at all times. Geckos will usually only lick up the calcium when they need it-- or at least that's how it's been with mine anyway!
Echo
Echo

Status Status : Starbuck, my first gecko!
LGF Points LGF Points : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm

May be the tank is too cold. I keep saying this but nobody beleives me and I keep reading post on here about geckos not eating.

peach75
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:06 am

Stella did eat her waxies last night, and it looks like she shed too. So hopefully she is feeling a little refreshed today!

@Echo: Yeah, she is still drinking and acting perfectly normal. She is a really active little girl, and comes out to explore every night. I think both my geckos would rather track calcium around their cages at night than eat it though. Rolling Eyes
When my bearded dragon brumates, he won't eat for 2 - 3 months, so I know reptiles are capable of going a long time without food! I'm just paranoid LOL.

@Peach: I have a thermostat that keeps her hot side at 92 - 94 *F, and her cool side is usually around 75*F so I know my temps are fine. Stanley has the exact same set up, and he would completely obliterate my roach colony if I let him. Smile
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Jess wrote:Stella did eat her waxies last night, and it looks like she shed too. So hopefully she is feeling a little refreshed today!

@Echo: Yeah, she is still drinking and acting perfectly normal. She is a really active little girl, and comes out to explore every night. I think both my geckos would rather track calcium around their cages at night than eat it though. Rolling Eyes
When my bearded dragon brumates, he won't eat for 2 - 3 months, so I know reptiles are capable of going a long time without food! I'm just paranoid LOL.

@Peach: I have a thermostat that keeps her hot side at 92 - 94 *F, and her cool side is usually around 75*F so I know my temps are fine. Stanley has the exact same set up, and he would completely obliterate my roach colony if I let him. Smile
How about yourr air temps?

peach75
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 am

They are 75-80*F. I'm pretty sure the temps aren't what is keeping her from eating...
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 am

Never mind she's a female and is probably ovulating. I thought it was a male, I should have payed attention Smile

peach75
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down