Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blindness?

2 posters

Go down

Blindness? Empty Blindness?

Post by meltruelove Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 am

My leopard gecko, Frankie, has been acting off for the last two weeks. She is not eating, acting like she is having a really difficult time seeing (poor tracking of prey), and is constantly expanding and contracting her throat pouch. I took her to a vet yesterday and he had a hard time figuring out the trouble. He figured out that she is still light sensitive, and her eyes look really good, but it's like she can't really see. He suggested that I try nutrient drops, not powder, to see if it might be a vitamin a deficiency. He diagnosed her with idiopathic blindness.

Meanwhile, I tried to assist feed her some meal worms and she is refusing them. Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior before? Any clue as to what could have caused this? Any suggestions on how to get her to eat? She isn't acting lethargic or anything. It's all very strange. Any help would be much appreciated.

meltruelove

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 5

Back to top Go down

Blindness? Empty Re: Blindness?

Post by Kermit Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:38 am

nutrient drops certainly couldn't hurt as it is a direct absorb into the blood stream. Vision is affected by vit. A so be sure to gutload your feeders with food high in vit. A. idiopathic blindness basically means blindness with out a cause such as no trauma or visible defect causing it. I find this odd esp. if there's no visual damage to the eye, it would have to be an optic nerve defect if the eye surface looks clean and healthy. Is this leo an enigma?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum