Dramatic behavioral change

Go down

Dramatic behavioral change

Post by HerpHunter on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 am

I only had my geckos for about a week before I got my rack that I've been using, and at that time I was housing 2 female and one male sub-adults in a 20 gallon tank. About a week and a half ago I was showing a friend a few of my geckos and as we were leaving the house he failed to close the tub properly.. Needless to say, one of my females got out. Since then she has been hyper aggressive, and constantly trying to escape again. What came as even more of a shock to me is that 3 days later she laid her first clutch. (I wasn't intending on breeding for several more weeks or even months until I felt confident I knew enough and had everything ready to go.) Even while gravid she wasn't acting this way before she escaped.

My questions then are, why do you think shes acting this way, and how can I help her become less stressed and less aggressive?

p.s. I have the eggs incubating.

HerpHunter

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dramatic behavioral change

Post by Kermit on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Where did she escape to? Going from a viv to a tub can be very differet for a leo and vice verse. Being in an opaque tub can be like sensory deprivation. Some leos crave that sensory imput and miss it when they don't have the stimulis and object by acting out of their normal selves with aggression, depression, panic, etc. Having to lay on top of it is stressing enough let alone adding a new habitat on top of it. Did she have a lay box in her tub? That could have caused her to freak a bit not having a suitable place to lay. Are you sure she's gravid and not just laying duds? If you weren't prepared for breeding it wasn't wise to be keeping a male and female sub-adults together. Leos are sexually mature well before they should be bred. Having laid 3 days after she escaped and having her a total of about 10 days means she came to you either bred or laying duds after ovlating. It usually takes 2-3 weeks gestation after breeding before you get your first clutch. How many eggs did she lay?

"The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them...
But to be Indifferent to Them...THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity"

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

View user profile http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HerpHunter on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:07 pm

I've had the geckos for over a month now, however I only had them housed together for about a week or so. She escaped and when into my bathroom to hide under a dresser I have. She Came from a respected breeder that I know houses them individually as well so there wasn't any chance of gestation before I received her.

There were 2 eggs this clutch and she should lay more within the week I would assume. making sure she gets plenty of food and vitamins in the mean time. She has a nice lay-box, and another hide. Any other tips?
Thanks again.

HerpHunter

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 am

Her attitude change could just be from being gravid. Kinda like the hormone swings we women go thru when we're pregnant, the whole anxious feeling, the nexting instinct, etc. I would just keep doing what you are, providing her optimum husbandry and minimal stressors and see how she's acting after breeding/laying season. If she's still acting the same way then it could just be har adult personality kicking in but I wouldn't think so, but depending on her morph it is possible.. Some tend to be more sketchy and anxious than others.

"The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them...
But to be Indifferent to Them...THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity"

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

View user profile http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum