Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Basics on supplimenting Your Leo

4 posters

Go down

How to Basics on supplimenting Your Leo Empty How to Basics on supplimenting Your Leo

Post by Kermit Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am

**Please lets try to keep chatter to a minimum on this thread. If you have more than 1 question, or a problem/question with your leo, please start another thread. This thread will be heavily monitored and posts will be deleted if there are too many questions, excessive chatter, or any arguments. The main purpose of this thread is for information and alternative supplementation suggestions.

Thanks for understanding thumbs up 2 **

There's always a lot of controversy on the subjct of nutritional suppliemnts and schedules for your leo. There's no real "perfect way" no magic bullet that's going to work for every leo or owner. Everyone has their limitations whether its time, money or what have you so what I'd like to lay out are options and application of those options...

First thing to understand about supplimenting is a little goes a long way. Think minimalist in my opinion. With suppliments more isn't always better. For this reason I'm more of a fan of a combination of gutloading feeders with fresh foods rather than premade suppliment diets. Those diets tout "high in protein, high in calcium" neither of which, in excess are good for our leos. The vitamins/minerals your leo will get eating properly gutloaded feedes and using a proper suppliment schedule should be all the average pet leo needs. Problems that can occur from over supplimenting includes hypervitaminosis, gout, psudo gout, liver and kidney issues, protein/calcium bubbl es, shedding issues, etc.

When looking at the kind o suppliments you want to use, there's pretty much 2 basic styles. All in 1 suppliments are suppliments that are just that... all in 1. A properly measured multivitamin and calcium suppliment all in one. Some examples of these (in the U.S) are Repshy calcium plus (sometimes says icb). Another is T-Rex brand complete leopard gecko dust icb by sandfire foods. These offer the proper percentage of the recommended vitamin needs of your leo. Calcium, vit. D3, vit. A, etc. The general recommendation for using all in 1 suppliments is that hatchling to sub-adult (5-6 months old) should be dusted every feeding. Sub-adult to adult, 6 mos. To 12-15 months, should be supplimented every other feeding. Once your leo is an adult,it is recommended they're generally being fed every other day so supplimenting would be once or twice a week.

Leos that are using an all in 1 suppliment do not require you to leave a calcium dish in the viv 24/7.

Pregnant or laying females, special needs leos, or injured/old leos may require more depending on needs, health and condition. The advice of a vet may be required in some circumstances.

Seperate suppliments for multi vitamin and calcium supplimenting. This is the style that requires you to have 3 different suppliments. Plain phospherous free calcium, calcium with D3, and a multi vitamin. When employing this type of suppliment schedule it is recommended to keep a dish of plain cacium in the viv 24/7. For hatchlings- juvenile dust twice a week with calcium with D3, and once-twice a week with the multi vitamin. For sub-adult (5-6 mos old) dust once-twice a week with calcium with D3, and can reduce to once a week for the multi vit. For adults 12 mos and up dust once a week with the calcium with D3 and once a week with the multi vit.

Pregnant, laying leos, injured, sick or old may require a different schedule depending on their condition. Sometimes it may be needed to consult a veterinarian.

So that's about it in a nut shell. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences. Remember this is just a guieline, it is by no means gospel on how to suppliment your leo, and these guidelines are for REGULAR PET LEOS, not breeding males and females, laying females, or leos. with mbd or other extra ordinary conditions. Age group (hatchling, juvenile, sub-adult,adult) are approximate and there are many leos that will mature faster or slower depending on that leo. They're all individuals that are different Smile

Hope this helps thumbs up 2

Last edited by Kermit on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:12 am; edited 4 times in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

How to Basics on supplimenting Your Leo Empty Re: How to Basics on supplimenting Your Leo

Post by Pinned27 Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 pm

so for a juvi, im using an all in 1 supplement. I should dust every time i feed him (which is once a day) and dust all the mealworms/crickets i give? or should it be a couple mealworms and not all of them?
i have been just dusting twice a week and i dust about 3 out of 5 mealworms.
then can i still put the pure calcium in a dish in his viv?
Pinned27
Pinned27

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 216

Back to top Go down

How to Basics on supplimenting Your Leo Empty Re: How to Basics on supplimenting Your Leo

Post by peach75 Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 pm

thumbs up Kermit That was awesome!
I don't like the mixed kind because that means you have to give vitamins everyday for the youngin and if you feed let's say mealworms you'll have to much phos if you don't add calcium. Thats what gutloading is for right? Look at the bottles. One of these products have both Vitamin A and beta carotene. I don't understand why but that scares me on a daily basis.

peach75
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Using an all in 1 suppliment for a juvie, a leo between 3-6 months old, you don't have to leave pure calcium in the viv 24/7. On dusting days I dust all the feeders, but my leo only eats 2-4 superworms 2-3x a week.

How you suppliment is up to you and everyone has different suggestions. You need to find what works best for your leo. Just keep in mind if youre keeping calcium in the viv 24/7 then youre going to want to make sure your leo has a little more D3 to absorb all that calcium so you might want to be sure to dust all the feeders at least 2 days of the week imo.

Personally peach anything over 4-5 months old doesn't need supplimenting more than 2-3x a week with either all in 1 suppliment or separate supplements. If you properly gutload with fresh veggies they're getting a good range of nutrients and until someone does an accurate study on the precise percentages of what nutrients a leo needs for optimum health then I'll follow the minimalist philosophy Wink
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 am

Thankyou for writing this Smile

I'm going to change my geckos onto a complete supplement because I have to keep buying 3. Can you get leopard gecko dust icb by sandfire foods in the UK anyone?
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:56 am

so if i do leave calcium in the viv, i should dust all the feeder 2x a week? or should it be more so i give more D3?
Pinned27
Pinned27

LGF Points LGF Points : 216

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:03 am

Pinned this was already answered by Mardy I believe, in the other thread you had started about supplimenting your leo as well as answered earlier in the thread. If you leave calcium in the viv GUTLOAD with veggies high in vit. D3 and dust for leos under 6 months old, every feeder, with the multi vit 2 times a week. NO more is needed. A little goes a long way. If you have other questions about your leo specifically please start another thread with your suppliment questions.

Sarah... there are a couple places in the UK that you can buy it from online if this helps:

http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/t-rex-sandfire-leopard-gecko-dust.html

http://www.theonlinepetstore.co.uk/product/T-Rex-Sandfire-Leopard-Gecko-Dust-ICB-50g-1821
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum