Need some advice from you guys.

Go down

Need some advice from you guys.

Post by Coker101 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:37 am

Ok...I bought a 8 month old leopard gecko a few months ago.

I used fine sand for substrate and a under tank heat pad. However I started worrying about impaction so I decided to swap out the sand for reptile carpet. The problem is that putting my hand on the carpet I feel very little heat. I'm now worried that it's too little heat. So after researching some I went and decided to try out a exoterra heat rock. That said I'm taking it back after doing more research and hearing about all the burned lizards.

I'm trying to stay away from lights....what else can I use?

Thanks for any help.

Coker101

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need some advice from you guys.

Post by Kodieh on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 am

Is your heating pad 1/3rd the size of the bottom of the tank? I actually have seen people who heard heat pad and got the "hermit crab" heating pad which is about 2 inches wide and 5 inches long.

Try upgrading your heating pad size, the carpet would honestly be ignored when it comes to being heated. It heats really well. Though, I would recommend switching from the carpet to ceramic, slate, or vinyl tiles or paper towels.
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:14 am

The heat rock by exo terra is actually not very good. It has been known to burn and scald the geckos, as it does not control temps very well and will sit at about 100 degrees or more!!!

ND in Animal Management - Triple Distinction
Degree (Hons) in Animal Management - In progress!
2.4.1 Leopard Geckos
1.1.1 Crested Geckos
1.1.0 Cats

Works at a Pet shop I love you
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 am

How are you monitoring your temps? Also if the viv is suppose to be 88-96*f it wouldn't feel that warm to the touch since it would be lower than your own body temperature.

"The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them...
But to be Indifferent to Them...THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity"

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

View user profile http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coker101 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Kermit wrote:How are you monitoring your temps? Also if the viv is suppose to be 88-96*f it wouldn't feel that warm to the touch since it would be lower than your own body temperature.

I use a electronic temp deal made by zoomed I think it is.

If I take the temp right at the floor right over the heat mat it says about 100, but thats the floor temp. At the other side of the tank its about 75 or so.

Is this good?

I just don't see how they would warm up this way because to the touch its just barley warm.

Thanks for the replies.

Coker101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Your body runs an average of 97F, so it wont notice a change of 3 degrees to the touch.
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:21 pm

you want your hot side to be around 95 the cool side is fine, they mostly need belly heat, you should get something to help with controlling the temp because 100 is a bit to high. the over all tank temp isn't as important as the floor temp for leos, so as long as the cool side doesn't go under 70 i think your leo would be fine, also if you feel like your leo needs more heat in the over temp you can get a blue night light ( http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11836374 )and you can have that on 24/7 to help raise the cage temp or a ceramic heat lamp, those don't put off light.
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

View user profile http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Coker101 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Mystic wrote:you want your hot side to be around 95 the cool side is fine, they mostly need belly heat, you should get something to help with controlling the temp because 100 is a bit to high. the over all tank temp isn't as important as the floor temp for leos, so as long as the cool side doesn't go under 70 i think your leo would be fine, also if you feel like your leo needs more heat in the over temp you can get a blue night light ( http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11836374 )and you can have that on 24/7 to help raise the cage temp or a ceramic heat lamp, those don't put off light.

Well the thing is, it's not a solid surface with 100...it's carpet. So it's not really the same as sitting on a rock that's 100. At least thats the way I look at it, what do you think?

Coker101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Is your probe on top of the carpet or under it? Leos are thigmatherms which means they regulate their core temps thru objects they lay on unlike heliotherms like bearded dragons that absorb their heat from over head sources. Having your floor temps at 100 wil eventually will lead to shedding poblems. Altho leos live in packed earth deserts, they aren't deserts that are constantly in the 100 degree range, plus they're crepuscular so they're never out during the heat of the day. Sunrise and sunset is when they're most active which indicates they prefer the cooler temp range. As long as your floor temps are between 88-96*F you're in a good range. Your cool side should stay around room temperature and ambient temps aren't that important as long as they don't really go below 60-65*F. If you think you need higher ambient temps use a ceramic heat emitter, one of the lowest wattages you can find. Also you really should consider changing your substrait to something more sanitary and natural such as slate, stone, or high end vinyl tiles. They heat much better, are more in line with a leos natural habitat (rocky craigs and crevaces), they don't catch your leos teeth or tonails as they walk on it or eat, and they are easy to clean and disinfect.

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Coker101 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Kermit wrote:Is your probe on top of the carpet or under it? Leos are thigmatherms which means they regulate their core temps thru objects they lay on unlike heliotherms like bearded dragons that absorb their heat from over head sources. Having your floor temps at 100 wil eventually will lead to shedding poblems. Altho leos live in packed earth deserts, they aren't deserts that are constantly in the 100 degree range, plus they're crepuscular so they're never out during the heat of the day. Sunrise and sunset is when they're most active which indicates they prefer the cooler temp range. As long as your floor temps are between 88-96*F you're in a good range. Your cool side should stay around room temperature and ambient temps aren't that important as long as they don't really go below 60-65*F. If you think you need higher ambient temps use a ceramic heat emitter, one of the lowest wattages you can find. Also you really should consider changing your substrait to something more sanitary and natural such as slate, stone, or high end vinyl tiles. They heat much better, are more in line with a leos natural habitat (rocky craigs and crevaces), they don't catch your leos teeth or tonails as they walk on it or eat, and they are easy to clean and disinfect.

I plan on making my way to the next rep show here in March. I plan on getting a male to go with the female I have now and will be upgrading the size of the enclosure I have. I'll set the one up with tile and whatnot.

The probe I have is pointed a few inches from the top of the carpet when I take teh temp. This is the one I'm using at the moment.

Coker101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Then you are getting surface temps on top of the carpet. Also it isn't recommended to have multipul leos in the same enclosure unlessyou have a cmplete understanding of their husbandry and breeding needs. It can be very stressful on your female having a male constantly pressuring her to breed and could end disasterously for the smaller younger male. Leos aren't communal animals and living in groups goes against ther natural instincts. If you want a male with thehopes of eventually breeding he should have his own set up and only be put with the female for breeding purposes then seperated out.

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Coker101 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:50 am

Kermit wrote:Then you are getting surface temps on top of the carpet. Also it isn't recommended to have multipul leos in the same enclosure unlessyou have a cmplete understanding of their husbandry and breeding needs. It can be very stressful on your female having a male constantly pressuring her to breed and could end disasterously for the smaller younger male. Leos aren't communal animals and living in groups goes against ther natural instincts. If you want a male with thehopes of eventually breeding he should have his own set up and only be put with the female for breeding purposes then seperated out.

Thanks for the advice.

I will have 2 enclosures so I can separate but I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet.

Do you know of a site showing how to setup the tile in the enclosure? Also do you use any kind of sealer between the tiles?

Thanks.

Coker101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coker101 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:36 am

Nevermind, just found the sticky talking about different tiles/substrate.

Question though...you said:

"The key to getting a good tile is to make sure it is a HIGH end tile, one that will crack as you bend it rather than one that flexes and bows when you bend it. The reason for this is the high end tiles do NOT put off any off-gasses that could affect your leo. The glue doesn't melt until you're heating it over 120*F."*F."*F."

Any brand you would say is better than the others? Also what should I expect to pay per tile if I found decent vinyl. I plan on buying from Lowes if possible...just need to know what brand would be good.

Also you just trim the vinyl tiles with a box cutter or something like that?

Coker101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 am

Typically per tile sales are low, in the 50-75 cents per tile. It's when you buy whole cases or "to fit the room dimensions" that tile gets expensive.
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:24 am

Most vinyl tile manufacturers are the same, however I would advise buying the most expensive they offer which should be no moe than 2$ for a single high end vinyl tile. When you cut them, take a ruler and score the back with a sharp utility knife then bend the tile on the cut line. The tle will snap along that line, keep it bent then run the blade from top to bottom to cut the face surface and take off the piece you don't need. You want a tile that has texture to it, that is not smooth and gloss coated or your leo will have bad footing and slip which could cause splayed legs in younger geckos. Once you find a tile yu like, lowes hs a good online store, feel free to post a link and I can evaluate the tile for you. I use to install these things professionally for years. You do not need to seal them, vinyl tiles, the way they're mnufacturered now days are virtually VOC free and considered a good alternative to other flooring if you're looking for a low VOC flooring choice thumbs up 2

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum