Regurgitation

Go down

Regurgitation

Post by jmosier on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 am

This morning I was happy to find out our new guy had eaten something, but when I checked under his moist hide I noticed he had regurgitated all of the food he had eaten. It was 2 crickets and about 5 meal worms. I don't know if he had just gorged from not eating or what? I filled out the questionnaire. Any input would be appreciated. I can upload pictures if needed.

Care Questionaire:

About your leo:
- Sex - Male
- Age & Weight - unknown
- Morph (if you know) – Rainwater eclipse
- How long have you owned your leo - ~1 week
- Where was he/she obtained (Pet store, breeder, wild caught, etc.) – Pet store
- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred – captive bred

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo – I’m in the cage at least once a day.
- Is your leo acting any different today? – Not acting different.
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal – Look the same as always
- When was the last time he/she went
C) Problem
- He wasn’t eating much and this morning when I checked inside his hide I noticed what appears to be regurgitated mealworms.
Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size – 10 gal.
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept) – Glass tank
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.) - Repticarpet
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.) 2 – 1 warm and moist 1 cool and dry.
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc) **Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you use one** - 10 gallon size ZooMed UTH - What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side) – 75-85 cool and over 90 for the warm
- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer etc.)
- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc) - Thermometer
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration) – Red light
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) - 0
- Describe health, or previous problems of cage mates - None

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What are you feeding – Trying to see what he’ll eat. Has eaten meal worms, superworms, and small crickets.
- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding? I leave mealworms in at all times and offer him superworms every other day.
- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, ect)- Left in dish
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand) – Repticalc calcium and d3
- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand)
-How are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust with each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.) – Dust all worms with the calcium supplement.
- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with – Fluker’s gut load.
jmosier

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regurgitation

Post by Mardy on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 am

Is he a young gecko? If so, young geckos can sometimes eat too much and regurgitate. It usually happens once or twice before they learn to not overfeed as much. If he's acting normal, I would just observe him over the next few days. Still offer food, but control how much he eats. See if he can keep the food down.

Your temps seem right, I don't see any husbandry problems. You will want to purchase a multi-vitamin supplement. Popular brands are Repashy Calcium Plus, Zoo Med Reptivite, and Rep-Cal Herptivite. Pure calcium with D3 isn't good enough supplement for them. In fact if you are using calcium with D3, you need to limit that to once or twice a week only. D3 isn't something you want to overdose. If you purchase an all-in-one supplement like repashy calcium plus, then it contains D3 as well. So if you do start using that, stop supplementing with calcium with D3 as the all-in-one contains everything a gecko needs.

Good luck Smile

Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

View user profile http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jmosier on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 am

Okay thanks for the advice. We aren't sure as to how old he is, but we had some say that he looked to be under a year of age. I don't know if dehydration can cause this, but when I changed his water today he went straight for it. I'll keep my eye on him. His poops are normal and he doesn't seem to act any different.
jmosier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 am

I agree with mardy. Could have just ate too much too fast. A good way to tell if he might be dehydrates is if the urate attached to his poo is more yellow instead of chalky white. Yellow urate is a sign of dehydration. After a regurge they tend to be a bit dehydrated. Think of how you feel after you vomit. Lot of liquid comes up with regurge so make sure he has an mple amount of fresh water available at all times. If that's him in your avatar he looks young. Can you post a better picture of him, maybe a full body shot from above could help us judge his age for you.

"The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them...
But to be Indifferent to Them...THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity"

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

View user profile http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jmosier on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 am

That is him in the avatar picture. I think you commented on another post about him not eating. It could be stress or any number of things as I don't know how his conditions were at the pet store we got him at. He was on sand with one hide and no water there.
jmosier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 am

His tummy looks a bit wide compared to his tail. Did you notice any sand in the poops after you bought him? Keep an eye on his feces and post a picture if possible.

herp625
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 458

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmosier on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 am

I didn't notice any, but I also wasn't looking for it. I've already cleaned the poops out from last night, but if there are any new ones that look strange I'll get a picture.
jmosier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 am

He does look pretty close to a year, he still has that kind of sub-adult build to him, long and lean, not quite storing fat in his tail, altho not eating for so long could be part of the reas:@ Smile likeherp mentioned, check his poos the next time he goes, break them open with a tweezers to make sure they're sand free. Id offer him food in a few days since he regurged it takes a bit for the tummy to settle back down and right itself, then offer a small meal the first few feedings. Better safe then sorry.

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by jmosier on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:32 am

Ok I wasn't sure exactly when he would want to eat. He walked over to his bowl of mealies, but turned them down. I put 3 crickets with their jumpers pulled off in a clear bowl for him. Should I take them out or leave them in case he wants to eat?
jmosier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:43 am

Honestly, if it were me, I'd withold food for the next 3 days, give him a chance to settle his belly then offer the small meal. He may be willing to eat but that doesn't mean its what's best for him this soon after a regurge.

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by jmosier on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:52 am

Alright thanks for all the advice guys. Smile I won't offer anything for the next couple days and I'll make sure he's hydrated. I'll inspect his next few poops and make sure everything is in order.
jmosier

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum