Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Lipsy laid eggs..

4 posters

Go down

Now Lipsy laid eggs.. Empty Now Lipsy laid eggs..

Post by Marnie Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 am

Lipwy laid eggs today while I was at work, they are white and solid this is good right? They are currently in a food container on wet spaghbum moss the right way up on a large heat mat and under a light at temperature between 30-35 degrees C. Is this okay?
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Now Lipsy laid eggs.. Empty Re: Now Lipsy laid eggs..

Post by Smiley Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Temperature has a direct effect on the your chances of male to female ratio (colder temps=more females; warmer=more males). You want to keep them at 31.6 degrees C at the very hottest, any hotter and you could produce "hot" females. Which are aggressive and most of the time sterile. I think i remember reading about "cold males" too so id stay within 26.6C - 31.1C to be safe. Also, you don't want the incubating material sopping wet, just damp so the eggs don't dry up. Hope this helps some =/
Smiley
Smiley

LGF Points LGF Points : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by LeopardGex Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Could'nt have said it better my self. BTW idk what spahgum moss is but i though you where soposed to use a moister keeping herticulture product?
LeopardGex
LeopardGex
Loyal Member

Status Status : Xbox Gamertag: Sleet Yargg
LGF Points LGF Points : 666

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:22 am

I only had sphagnum moss in. I set it up properly and kept the temp at 29-31 but I think they were left out too long as they have dented and shrivelled :/ I was really annoyed that Adam didn't check up on her as the eggs might have been alright, I was at work I had no control :/ really upset but I suppose it's okay she will lay more. Thanks guys, I will get some sand in ready for the next couple. Blondie layed another one that day too but it was already a mucky yellow colour and just the one so I threw it away
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:06 am

Always freeze eggs before throwing them out just in case they are viable despite their appearance. Last thing you want is to have an egg incubate and hatch in a warm rotting trash dump somewhere. Not likely but why risk it. Also vermiculite or perlite (sp?) Would be a better incubator substrait.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiley Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:29 am

I've heard of eggs denting in a little and still hatching. (pretty sure it just means they lost some moisture inside) If they weren't too dried up you could let them incubate a week or so and then candle the eggs to see if any progress was made
Smiley
Smiley

LGF Points LGF Points : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down