Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mold on eggs?

4 posters

Go down

Mold on eggs? Empty Mold on eggs?

Post by Kouneli Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Sad Sadly, Kensi's eggs are developing mold, but Ziva's egg isn't. Kensi's 2 eggs were laid 1/31. Ziva's 1 egg was laid 2/1.
Is it possible that it's too moist in the laybox? I currently have the eggs on moist EcoEarth. Temp is 81. There's condensation on the sides of the laybox, and a small amount on the lid (though it's not dripping and I wipe it down 1-2 times daily). Or are the eggs just infertile?
One of Kensi's seems to have collapsed, while the other is elongated and full looking.
Ziva's was laid outside of the laybox, but I caught it quickly and it seems to be a little bit "squished" though not as badly as Kensi's. It hasn't yet developed mold. Could it be fertile? Is it too early to candle?

Kouneli

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 191

Back to top Go down

Mold on eggs? Empty Re: Mold on eggs?

Post by asianpersuasion Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Is this there first time breeding and laying eggs? Generally when a leo lays its eggs outside of the laybox they are infertile. There have been cases that eggs found outside of the laybox are indeed fertile and hatched out. It does however sound like the laybox you have them in maybe to humid and thats why the mold is developing. As for the egg that is denting try cover the entire egg with the moist eco earth for a few hours and check it again. Denting usually happens if an egg is infertile or its not getting enough moisture. You should be able to candle the kensi's eggs and in a few days ziva's. I have read that people use foot powder to help with mold on good fertile eggs so you may want to research that a little bit and give it a try but you need to act on it fast if ziva's eggs are in the same laybox as the mold can spread to other eggs and kill them.
asianpersuasion
asianpersuasion
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1060

http://www.wix.com/asianpersuasion529/nocoleopardgeckos

Back to top Go down

Post by Kouneli Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Cleaned off the mold just now with q-tips. Candled the eggs and the plump one has a rosy hue *fingers crossed*. Ziva's had a yellowish hue still. Going to candle again in a few days, though. The crushed looking one didn't candle well. I doubt that the crushed one has a lack of moisture, as it has molded, but it's still looking crushed. The EcoEarth is just as moist around the crushed one as it is around the others. Fiance said that he's had hatchlings come from eggs that looked the same as the crushed one, so I'm not tossing it yet.
As for first timers...this is Kensi's first time (and funny enough, she was the one that laid them in the laybox), but not Ziva's...and as a whole, it's my first time. There's also Abby that should be laying any day now. I keep watching like a hawk though, and she'd probably appreciate it if I backed off a bit. lol

Kouneli

Back to top Go down

Post by asianpersuasion Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 pm

lol ya it would prolly be a good idea to give her some space. Well try covering the crushed one with the eco earth and see if that draws the dents out and if not just keep incubating them until they become real smelly and dented and moldy or they hatch. I dont throw any eggs out until it is perfectly clear that they are infertile. So good luck and i hope all turns out well for you
asianpersuasion
asianpersuasion
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1060

http://www.wix.com/asianpersuasion529/nocoleopardgeckos

Back to top Go down

Post by Kouneli Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:34 am

Ok, 2nd clutch of eggs (1st clutch simply got too moldy and there was nothing when candled, so I tossed them)...

I have 3 eggs (2 from Kensi, one from Abby). Abby's is looking GREAT. Kensi's on the other hand, one is starting to develop mold and is developing a dent. I've heard that the dent could be a lack of moisture, but then why would the mold be growing? The 2nd one is looking like it's starting to develop a dent as well. My incubator set up? Currently a gladware container with damp (not wet) EcoEarth. Temperature inside is about 80 with a humidity reading of 65%.
I've also thought about switching to Perlite instead of the EcoEarth, but am afraid to move the eggs too much. (Now I wish I've bought the Gecko Incubating Cup at the last show lol).

All 3 eggs were laid on 2/22. Abby's was laid outside of the laybox, but looks to have a red ring inside already. Kensi's were both in the laybox.

Anything I'm doing wrong to cause the mold and dented eggs? Or could her 2nd clutch be infertile as well?

Kouneli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:35 am

You want around 80% humidity, humidity is what plumps the eggs up if the eggs are good. These soft shelled eggs don't stay plump if humidity isn't high enough.

But if you are getting mold, you could gently wipe them off and keep incubating until either it hatches or deflates. You want to incubate until there's no debate, it's a term often used by breeders. But I don't want to get your hopes up as moldy eggs usually (not always) means they are infertile.

Also make sure your temperature isn't fluctuating much. Anything under 78 is kill zone for eggs, so if you are incubating at 80, make sure it doesn't drop below 80 or you are getting to the danger zone.

Other than that, do the eggs look healthy after they are laid? Good eggs usually look pearly white and feels firmer than infertile eggs that feel like water balloons and look more yellowish.

Are the female breeders healthy looking, at a good weight and age? Females will lay infertile eggs often because their body doesn't have enough nutrients to lay good eggs. I've had to take a female out of breeding rotation because while she weighed fine (55g), she doesn't look fine after laying several clutches of eggs. At this point in time I won't be breeding her anymore until she gains more weight and plump back up.

Also with first time females you have to expect some, if not a lot, of infertile eggs.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kouneli Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Ok...got the perlite...but it's miracle gro brand -.- And, yes, I know it contains fertilizer, so it's going back to the store.
I'll be sure to bump up the heat, then. It hasn't flucuated though. As for bumping up the humidity, not sure how else to do that other than getting the EcoEarth even more wet, and I'm afraid that it'll promote growth of even more mold. In the meantime, I keep wiping off the mold the best I can with a q-tip

Kouneli

Back to top Go down

Post by dtown Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 pm

You better get stabilized sooner than later Wink

dtown

LGF Points LGF Points : 88

Back to top Go down