surprise breeding, new owner

Go down

surprise breeding, new owner

Post by Some_One on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:58 pm

I rescued/adopted a pair of normal leopard geckos about 2 weeks ago, my first ones ever. The guy I got them from didn't know anything about them, not even that they were leopard geckos! "Just 'geckos", he said. He got them for his kid who was too little to care for them. I have no idea where they came from before that. (I did do my research before adopting these guys)

So today I was cleaning out their moist hide, and SURPRISE- eggs! (and it's my birthday today too, crazy right?) I quickly read up on eggs, and now have them in a moist deli cup in the cage at "female" temp. I tried sexing the parents when I got them but I honestly could not tell :/

So to my issue- I am guessing these guys aren't in very good health (nutrition-wise), seeing as they have been bounced around several times and apparently no one even knows what they are. I feed them every other day with calcium dusted bugs, and vitamins once a week. But I don't think that is enough. I was thinking about letting the eggs dry up/freeze/die and not deal with babies, but I feel guilty (I half-think plants have feelings, and feel a little sorry for the bugs I feed to the geckos). Hatching leopard gecko pictures are too cute. And they were born on my birthday. Does mother's health directly affect the offspring? Would it be too risky to let them hatch?

A few ideas I came up with-
-hatch them (2) and let them live with mom in the 40 gal tank, and rehome dad/keep dad in 10 gal tank
-let the eggs die and put a divider in the tank to separate mom and dad
-rehome babies and separate mom and dad

And what about future eggs because apparently one mating can fertilize several sets of eggs? So then what to do with those babies? Anyway, mom and dad will be separated soon because I don't want to have lots of homeless little babies.

Opinions, please Smile Mom and dad are regular colouring/patterned, if anyone was curious.

Some_One

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: surprise breeding, new owner

Post by Kermit on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Welcome to the forum and happy birthday Smile my you're in a tough situation... lets see... yes mom's condition wil affect the eggs. if mom was in ill health or under supplimented you could risk hatching deformed babies. if you rolled the eggs when moving them they may never hatch as the yolk would detach and the egg would die. I'm sure you know that a bred female can lay upwards of 10 clutches with 2-4 eggs each clutch so you're going to have your hands full. Also depending on how long the eggs sat there before you noticed them and moved them, they already might be duds.

Hatching the eggs and letting them live with mom would work for a while until one of the babies decided to try and mate with mom or frustraited her to the point of retaliation in which case it could turn out real ugly for the babies. Leos have no social attachment like that. She won't realise "hey these are my babies" She'd just see them as competition for resources and being so much smaller wouldn't stand a chance against her. Leos are NOT social creatures so group living goes agasint their natural programming. I would seperate the male and female as soon as possible because I believe once she starts laying she is receptive to rebreeding but don't quote me on that one. Since females retain the sperm plug and fertilize multiple clutches of eggs over a period of time (about 2 weeks between clutches) The male may not try to rebreed her until after the last clutch. What to do with all the babies you may hatch or the eggs you get from subsequent clutches is a really ahrd choice. If it were me, honestly I would freeze them and dispose of them. It is a lot to take on having the possibility of20-40 leos over a 10-12 week period. That's a lot for anyone to handle. Maybe you know of a local pet shop that might be able to take the eggs from you and incubate them themselves if it's something you don't think you can do. Unfortunately most people don't have the heart, but to be a responsible breeder you have to make tough decisions, even when they're thrust upon you, but it might make you feel a little better knowing that with first time moms the eggs are usually duds anyway.

As far as your supplimenting program goes with the adults you have now. I would leave a dish of pure calcium in the viv at all times for them to lap up as they need. You can dust with your milti vit every other feeding which comes out to about twice a week, and use calcium with D3 at every other feeding as well. Leos need D3 to be able to absorb calcium so this is important but don't over do it with either the multi vit or D3 as you can cause vitamin overdose called hypervitaminosis. Gut load your bugs well as that will help with any nutritional difficiencies your leos may have.

Hope some of this helps... good luck Smile

"The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them...
But to be Indifferent to Them...THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity"

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

View user profile http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Some_One on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Thank you much for all of your information! Ok, I will rotate between calD3 and multi vits for each feeding. I need to get cal w/out D3 because the petshop didn't carry it (I checked 2x) and I need get husband to order some online. I set out a dish of calD3 yesterday and today because I'm guessing they are deficient, just so they can get a little extra, until nonD3 arrives. And I gutload the bugs with all sorts of wonderful things Smile

I will freeze the eggs though :'( because if they hatched all crippled up I would probably feel even worse. I kind of liked the idea of a tank full of lady leos though. Tomorrow I will rig up a cork board cage divider, cover it with some dried moss and air plants, it will look fantastic Very Happy

Thank you again, though as unexciting and sad as this will be (who wouldn't want a bunch of baby lizards) I certainly want what is best for my little guys.

Some_One

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 am

I hear ya. Its a tough decision, I don't envy you for having to make it but I think youre doing the right thing. I would hold off on adding the D3 calcium and just dust with it until your plain calcium comes in. your leos will be fine another week our so until you get it rather than risk hypervitaminosis and D3 overdosing. The cork divider sounds interesting. you'll have to post a pic of it after its together.

"The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them...
But to be Indifferent to Them...THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity"

~George Bernard Shaw~
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

View user profile http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum